Saturday, May 25, 2013

VOD: Genesis 39:17-18

Genesis 39:17-18
Then she told him this story: “That Hebrew slave you brought us came to me to make sport of me. But as soon as I screamed for help, he left his cloak beside me and ran out of the house.”

This past Tuesday, I had a time to talk and share with brothers in Christ, and one of them talked about Potiphar's wife.

For those that don't know the background story here, you can either read Genesis 39 for all the deets, or my short summary...
Joseph is a slave, but his master likes him so put him in charge of everything he owns except for his wife obviously.  One day, he leaves and his wife approaches Joseph (cos he's good looking) and asks him to sleep with her and he says "no".  She becomes persistent and he comes to the point where he avoids her.  One day, she grabs her cloak and used it against him...which leads us to the verse above!

I guess the important thing to get out of this was that although the wife here seems like she's innocent and good, she is not.  She is putting on a show.  On the outside she is crying out and screaming for help, she is telling her servants and her husband these things, but on the inside, she is not that way.
So, I guess the question that comes in here is "do you hate sin?" or do you "scream for help" when you sin?  Is your heart changed? or do you just put on a show?  When you pray for a sin in your life, do you pray and hate the sin? I feel like you get my point...cos it's so interesting!!  If God was my number one priority in life, if he was the soul most important thing in my life, anything that blocked me from His presence I would want to tear away because He is just so great and I don't want anything to block me from Him!

I pray that God would give me hatred for what He hates.  That I wouldn't be like...oh everyone sins...but hate sin.  Instead of focussing on sin, focussing on God and all of His greatness and righteousness! :)

Not sure if this blog makes sense...thoughts are still sort of jumbled, but I hope you get the point! :)

Jireh!

No comments:

Post a Comment